TL Music Lessons is a music teaching business based in Mid Wales
Information about Theo Lawrence / TL Music Lessons
Theo Lawrence teaches instrumental Guitar, Drums, Ukulele and Bass music lessons in primary and secondary schools in the county of Powys as a peripatetic teacher, as well as lessons after school. Theo is also the leader of the MYM Guitar & Ukulele Orchestra, and the MYM Snare Drumline.
Following an A* Music GCSE and instrumental music grades, Theo studied at Drumtech in central London at the age of 16, to gain a BTEC Diploma in Music Performance. After the 1 year intensive course, Theo was then accepted to the University of Central Lancashire to study for a Music degree, and graduated in 2007.
Theo has plenty of performing experiences in Wales and England, including the 02 Academy in Birmingham. Theo is experienced in a recording studio environment, and also has a home studio setup for recording and writing music on various instruments, and has been collaborating with singers to write and perform new music.
How long have you been teaching?
I have been teaching guitar, drums and bass since 2009, Ukulele since 2014 and Music Production since 2015.
Born in 1985.
I teach Monday to Friday from about 8.30am in schools, and finish my after school lessons at around 6.30pm.
What instruments do you teach
Guitar, Ukulele, Bass Guitar, Drum Kit, Snare Drum, Practice Pad Drumming.
At schools I teach on acoustic drum kits, and non school lessons are on Roland V-Drums (electric drums).
Snare Drum and Practice Pad Drumming is useful for those who want to focus on this area of drumming (for example Drumline playing), or it can be a great way of starting drums with a view to progressing to a full drum kit at a later date.
I teach acoustic and electric guitar, and I have a range of instruments and amps.
I have a 4 string and a 6 string bass guitar, so I can teach anyone with a 4, 5 or 6 string bass.
- I prepare many of the lessons myself, and there are usually hand out sheets to go away and practice.
- We learn to read music as well as being able to play without reading.
- There is the opportunity to take exams. I try to cover a wide range of styles and topics, and I have a yearly plan of topics I like to cover, which is structured around the 6 school half terms.
- There is the option to record any of the instruments with my small home studio setup, which can be particularly useful in the final stages of preparing for exams.
Who teaches the lessons?
All music lessons are taught by Theo Lawrence.
I teach at the following schools...
- Llandrindod High School, Powys (Drums + Guitar)
- Trefonnen Primary School, Powys (Drums)
- Guilsfield CP School, Powys (Drums + Guitar)
- Castle Caereinion CP School, Powys (Guitar)
- Berriew CP School, Powys (Guitar)
- Montgomery CP School, Powys (Drums + Guitar)
- Forden Primary School, Powys (Drums)
- Meifod Primary School, Powys (Guitar, Ukulele, Snare Drum)
- Maesydre Primary School, Powys (Drums)
Qualifications / Achievements
- 2012 - Built up the business to operate monday - friday daytime + evenings. Left part time job, which had previously supplemented income
- 2010 - Released second studio album with a band.
- 2009 - Started my own self employed business at the age of 23 teaching music with the trading name of TL Music Lessons
- 2007 - Released first studio album with a band.
- 2003-07 - BA Hons Degree in Music Practice
at University of Central Lancashire in Preston
- 2002-03 - BTEC Diploma in Music Performance at Tech Music School in London
- 1996-2002 - A* Music GCSE. 11 GCSEs (grades A* - C) at Welshpool High School, Mid-Wales
I have been playing in bands since I was 10 and playing gigs all around the UK, including the 02 Academy and The Roadhouse in Birmingham. I have recording experience in professional studios and I have also released 2 studio albums.
Theo has an up to date and clean CRB record, which is checked by schools in powys.
Most styles taught, including Rock, Funk, Pop, Blues, Metal (including double bass drum), Jazz and Reggae.
Abilities Catered For
Beginners, Indermediate, Advanced.
Student's Criteria: Age / Ambition
There are no fixed limits on ages as anyone can learn to play an instrument at any age. I am interested in teaching music to all types of people ranging from people that want a musical career, to those who want to start a new hobbie, because it makes me a better teacher to be able to work towards a variety of different goals. Generally lessons in schools start from as early as year 3, although some are younger if they are keen and dedicated to practice, and some of the private lessons range up to and above the retirement age.
Rockschool and RGT exam boards (please enquire for other exam boards) - Find out more about Music Grade Exams.
Do you do Gift Certificates?
Yes I do these for Christmas and Birthday gifts. More info here: Gift Certificates.